Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tournament Report: December 21, 2013

Tournament Report: December 21, 2013
Location: Blue Ox Games
Deck Used: Ancient Dragons

Round 1: Vs. Ancient Dragons
Game 1: Fairly standard back-and-forth. He made a play where he retired Babyrex to use Dinocrowd's skill, but didn't activate Babyrex's skill to call a Tyrannolegend. He had counterblasts open, so I'm not sure if he he just had all of his Tyrannolegend's in his hand, although this was only something like turn 2 or 3, so its likely he just forgot (or was just very unfortunate). He didn't manage to Break Ride, and his early rush left his field vulnerable to being picked off. Combining that with the fact that I hit the Break Ride, I managed to overpower him for game.
Game 2: Not much difference from Game 1. He tried to rush me early again (and used Babyrex's skill this time), but that just left me in the perfect position to skip the Break Ride and go straight into Tyrannolegend's Limit Break. 21,000 with a crit is pretty difficult to block with the kind of underdeveloped hand he would have while on Grade 2, so he decided to 1-pass, which I broke with a crit to deal him 3 damage and seal the game.

Result: 2-0
Record: 1-0

Round 2: Vs. Arboros Dragon, Sephirot
Game 1: Easily the funnest game I had all day. This guy is a pretty good acquaintance of mine, and his Sephirot build was modeled after my own (although there's really only so much you can do with the deck). He hit the full ride chain with Carolla Dragons in the back, and threw down 2 Maiden of Trailing Roses in the front row. They were hitting 25,000 against my 11,000 Tyrannolegend, which wasn't as bad as it could have been were I sitting on a 10,000 Power Vanguard. A couple heals gave him a good damage cushion against my Break Ride and Tyrannolegend's Limit Break, which I ended up using at least twice to no avail. My hand was flooded with attackers and no boosters, meaning I had to feed them to Tyrannolegend to keep the pressure up, although it was really eating my resources. Final Turn came when I guarded with every card in my hand, leaving my field a unboosted Spino Driver in one Rear Guard circle, an unboosted Tyrannolegend Vanguard, and a Dinocrowd Rear Guard boosted by Triplasma. I topdecked into Black Cannon Tiger, who was 100% useless, so I was forced to attack with Spino Driver and an unboosted Vanguard. My opponent was running low on cards in hand, and I knew that even 1 trigger could seal the deal, and my Twin Drive revealed... Tyrannolegend and Spino Driver... I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in my life. I used Dinocrowd's skill to eat Spino Driver and increase his power by 5,000, hitting 21,000 on Sephirot, which turned out to be just enough to push the last damage in (He only had 10,000 worth of shield in hand), which wasn't a heal.
Game 2: He didn't hit the Ride Chain, and I think he might have misrode for a turn, but it ended pretty fast, so it didn't matter too much. He pushed me to Limit Break early, and I missed Spino Driver, so Tyrannolegend's Limit Break forced a 1-pass I broke with a draw and a crit.

Result: 2-0
Record: 2-0

Round 3: Vs. Dragonic Lawkeeper
Game 1: I hit a double crit on my first Twin Drive, which made a huge damage gap that he just couldn't overcome. He broke rode Lawkeeper over Dauntless, but he only hit 1 draw trigger out of 4 drive checks, which didn't help the advantage gap.
Game 2: This one was pretty back and forth. He rode Lawkeeper first, missing the Break Ride, but I pushed him to Limit Break a bit too early and he bound my field. My hand was Grade 3 heavy which, combined with the 4 straight turns of no triggers, resulted in a stark lack of shield, especially when facing down 21,000 columns from Lawkeeper and Dual Axe.
Game 3: He rode Dual Axe, and I Broke Rode. Enough said, really.

Result: 2-1
Record: 3-0

Round 4: Vs. Eradicators
Game 1: He couldn't get a Grade 2 to save his life, and I hunted any Grade 1's he threw down to try to get a little damage on me. The gap was my 2 damage to his 5 by the time he hit a Grade 2.
Game 2: Same thing; he was stuck on Grade 1. I played with his deck a little afterwards, and, out of like 3 games, I don't think I rode with it once. Remember; shuffle well.

Result: 2-0
Record: 4-0

Round 5: Vs. Narukami Mosh-Posh
Game 1: He was running some weird Vermillion/Eradicator/Discharging Dragon hybrid mosh posh deck. Linchu couldn't trigger because he didn't have any Eradicator Rear Guards to boost it with, his Dusty Plasma's weren't hitting anything because his Vanguard was Vowing Sword, and.. well, you get the picture. I Broke Rode, Limit Broke, etc.
Game 2: Pretty much a repeat of Game 1. There wasn't much synergy in the deck, and the sheer advantage Spino Driver generates let me tank a Vermillion Thunderbolt without too much trouble.

Result: 2-0
Record: 5-0

Final Record: 5-0
Standings: 1st Place, with a Top 8 Split.
Payout: 5 Packs of BT10 and 1 Promo Pack 7
Spoils Of War: RRR "Oracle Queen, Himiko" and RRR "Eradicator, Gauntlet Buster Dragon"

Deck List:
Grade 0
1x "Ancient Dragon, Babyrex"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Dinodile"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Titanocargo"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Orinthohealer"
4x "Black Cannon Tiger"

Grade 1
4x "Ancient Dragon, Paraswall"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Triplasma"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Iguanogorg"
3x "Winged Dragon, Skyptero"

Grade 2
4x "Ancient Dragon, Criollofall"
4x "Ancient Dragon, Beamankylo"
3x "Ancient Dragon, Dinocrowd"

Grade 3
4x "Ancient Dragon, Spino Driver"
3x "Ancient Dragon, Tyrannolegend"

No comments:

Post a Comment